If you have any questions or need more information about the services listed below, we are happy to help either online, in person or over the phone. There are also a number of useful printed brochures at our centre. You are welcome to pop in at any time from 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.
- Aged care services – including help with shopping, paying bills, transport, respite and nursing homes
- Children’s services – for children aged zero to 12 years
- Health services – including mental health
- Services for people from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) backgrounds
- Services for young people living with disabilities
The Newton Neighbourhood Centre compiles a weekly list of rental accommodation ($250/week or less) within the Inner City and Inner West. Access it here [insert link – current page not found].
LEGAL ADVICE FOR EMPLOYMENT AND DISCRIMINATION MATTERS
Are you not being paid correctly? Are you (or is someone you know) being bullied or discriminated against at work? Redfern Legal Centre runs a free and confidential legal advice service every Tuesday night. Call them on 02 9698 7277 to find out more.
FREE TAX HELP
Free tax help is available to low-income earners from early July until the end of October, through the Australian Taxation Office Help Program.
You might be eligible for Tax Help if your income is $60,000 or less for the income year, and if you did not:
- Work as a contractor – for example a contract cleaner or taxi driver
- Run a business – including as a sole trader
- Sell shares or invest in property
- Own a rental property
- Have capital gains tax (CGT)
- Receive royalties
- Receive distributions from a trust – other than a managed fund
- Receive foreign income – other than a foreign pension or annuity
For more information visit the ATO website https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Lodging-your-tax-return/Tax-Help-program/