Roast Beetroot, Asparagus & Feta Salad
Beets are an underrated vegetable. If you think you don’t like them, try them in this recipe. Roasting brings out the beets’ natural sweetness, and the feta offers a nice, salty contrast.
With a great combination of carbohydrates from beetroot, this salad is perfect to combine with a chicken breast fillet! Making lunch at home or work easy and healthy!
- Olive Oil1/3 cup
- Red Wine Vinegar 1/3 cup
- Dried or Fresh Thyme
- Dried or Fresh Mint
- Mixed Salad Leaves 2 cups
- Feta Cheese Crumbled ½ cup
- 2 Beetroot fresh raw
- 1 bunch asparagus
- ½ cup pepitas
- Preheat oven 180 degrees.
- Remove stems and greens from the beets, reserving the greens for the salad
- Wash beets and place in small baking dish so that they fit in tightly but do not touch one another; and fill the dish with ½ inch of water. Cover and roast for an hour or until beets are easily pierced with knife.
- Remove from the oven and when cool enough to handle, rub off the skins or peel with a small sharp knife. Chop the cooked beets into ½ inch cubes.
- Cut the ends of the asparagus. Cut into 2cm lengths and put in a microwaveable dish, cover and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by placing the vinegar and chopped herbs in a mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil. Pour vinaigrette over the beets and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Place mixed leaf and beet leaves in salad bowl. Top with Asparagus and Beets.
- Pour remaining vinaigrette over salad as needed and then top with feta and pepitas.
- Serve with crusty bread